Date Added: 18 May 2023
: 30 June 2023
Job Title: Parliamentary Intern
Working For: Layla Moran MP (Oxford and West Abingdon
Salary: £19,851 - £23,303
Length of Contract: Fixed term contract (9 to 12 months)
Layla Moran is looking for a full-time Parliamentary intern to work in her Westminster Office from September 2023 to July 2024.
The Westminster team assists Layla with her activities in Parliament: drafting Parliamentary questions, writing briefings, and managing press, as well as responding to constituent emails. Our work covers a diverse range of issues across Layla’s Foreign Affairs and Science portfolios, and her constituency of Oxford West and Abingdon.
We are a small and busy team, and being able to effectively manage a busy workload is essential. This is a fast paced role, where you will be expected to contribute fully to the day to day success of the Westminster and wider team. You will be working closely with another intern, and will receive support and guidance from the Parliamentary Assistant and the wider team.
A knowledge of Layla’s portfolios would be helpful but a willingness to learn is more important.
The role can be challenging but is a great opportunity to gain valuable experience working in Parliament, and to make a real difference to people in the constituency.
The parliamentary intern role requires dealing with a wide range of issues and tasks including:
- Helping to write Parliamentary questions, speeches, Early Day Motions and amendments to legislation
- Assisting with research on a range of routine and complex policy issues
- Identifying local and national issues of concerns to the MP and her constituents
- Monitoring of media and Parliamentary events to identify opportunities for the MP to further campaigns and constituency issues
- Drafting and managing correspondence and relations with community organisations, business and interest groups on behalf of the MP
- Drafting press releases, articles and social media content
- Drafting responses to constituents on a range of policy issues
- Assisting with diary and office administration tasks
- A polite and professional manner
- A can-do attitude
- Strong written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to work independently
- Ability to prioritise and manage a busy workload
- Competent in the use of IT applications
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 30 June 2023
Interviews will take place on a rolling basis and the successful candidate may be appointed before the closing date.
Flexible start date.
Applicants should submit a CV (no more than two sides) and cover letter (no more than one side) detailing why they are suitable for this role and why they would like to work for Layla Moran.
Please submit these to: firstname.lastname@example.org