Date Added: 20 May 2023
: 9 June 2023
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Nusrat Ghani MP (Wealden)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: Permanent (following probationary period)
The successful candidate will have the following:
• Previous experience in a parliamentary or constituency office is highly desirable, including experience of managing an MP’s diary/inbox and dealing with casework using caseworker.mp
• This is a pivotal role within a small, experienced team. A good team player with strong communication and organisation skills will be a welcome addition to a friendly and dedicated team.
• Excellent organisation skills and keen attention to detail
• Strong written and oral communication skills, good telephone manner, competence with IT
• Ability to effectively identify which emails/tasks need involvement of wider team/Ministerial office and which can be taken forward directly.
• Focused & self-motivated: able to work independently for long periods of time with minimal/remote supervision
• A trustworthy team player with a strong work ethic, able to adapt to meet needs of the MP/team
• Candidates should be sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party
Core and everyday duties will include:
• Management of the MP's diary, liaising with the MP, team and Ministerial office to manage Nusrat’s diary in a professional and organised manner
• Management of MP’s inbox: effectively triaging emails to ensure correct action is taken by the team for each item of correspondence
• Process post and phonecalls received in the Westminster office
• Dealing with all tour, PMQ’s and gallery ticket requests
• Looking after visitors in Westminster: including meeting constituents on a parliamentary tour, a school group visit to the Education Centre, those carrying out short term work experience or anyone meeting the MP
• Assist the team with casework: managing and progressing a diverse range of constituency casework; gathering relevant information to resolve or progress cases, ensuring the Office Manager is kept updated as needed; respond to large numbers of queries from members of the public on a broad range of topics
• Coordinate communication between largely constituency-based team acting as MP’s point person in Westminster, arranging team meetings, taking minutes and ensuring action points are met within agreed timescales.
• Support team members with policy correspondence when required and provide general office admin and support
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 9 June 2023
We will conduct interviews and may appoint before the closing date if a suitable candidate is found. Early applications are therefore strongly encouraged.
Please email your CV and a cover letter that clearly includes why you are applying for the role with Ms Ghani specifically, and highlighting the skills and experience you would bring to the role to firstname.lastname@example.org Please state your availability and any notice period in your cover letter. Please title the subject line: Application for Parliamentary Assistant position: 'your name’