Date Added: 22 May 2023
: 2 June 2023
Job Title: Community Development Officer
Working For: Debbie Abrahams MP (Oldham East and Saddleworth)
Location: Oldham East and Saddleworth
Salary: £28,700 (WTE) 8 hours £5,700
Length of Contract: 9 months
Debbie is looking for an experienced Community Development Officer to join her busy team in the constituency office for the equivalent of 1 day a week (8 hours pw). Applying community development principles, the successful applicant will be mostly responsible for community engagement and should have a proven track record in organising events, liaising with individuals, various community groups and organisations, and empowering communities. They will also need to be a strong team player and pro-active in delivering projects within the constituency.
There is some out of hours working is required. Flexible working applies.
• Engage professionally, confidentially and with care and integrity with members of the public, through a variety of methods
• Make arrangements for events including venue research and bookings; compiling and managing attendee-lists; liaising with suppliers; and providing on-the-day event support as required
• Accompany the MP on constituency visits, handle administrative arrangements for meetings with members of the public/MP surgeries, take photos for and from events
• Work on local campaigns
• Efficient data and file management to ensure the office complies with the data protection legislation.
• Database management using office software (e.g. Microsoft Office) to handle administrative cases
• Monitoring of local community hubs
Essential skills, knowledge:
• Proven knowledge and experience of community development principles and approaches
• Proven experience of organising events and community engagement sessions
• Ability to balance competing demands in a fast-paced environment
• Excellent time management, work under pressure to meet tight deadlines
• Well organised with a keen eye for detail
• Self-starter, able to organise independently and manage own workload
• Experienced using various software systems
• Excellent written and oral communication skills
• Experience of working within a small team
• Knowledge of Oldham East and Saddleworth constituency
• A good grasp of current affairs and political developments
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party
• Driving license and use of own vehicle
There will be a requirement to work outside normal working hours.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 2 June 2023
Interviews will be held on the 9th June.
Applications close at 17:00 hours on the 2 June 2023
Please email your CV and one page (max) covering letter setting out why you want to do this job and how your skills are relevant (saved as one pdf document) to Debbie Abrahams MP at email@example.com