Date Added: 10 February 2012
: 17 February 2012
Job Title: Administrator
Working For: The Orwell Prize (Media Standards Trust)
Salary: In the region of £25,000 pro rata, initially 6 month contract
Length of Contract:
The Media Standards Trust is looking for a new administrator for the Orwell Prize, Britain’s most prestigious prize for political writing.
The successful candidate will be required to:
- Administer the entry process (which includes calling for entries from publishers, editors, journalists and bloggers; logging entries and upholding eligibility rules; and liaising with judges)
- Organise events (including the launch debate, shortlist debate, awards ceremony), and explore organising standalone events and events at literary festivals
- Promote the Prize to the press and the public, especially press around the longlist, shortlist and winner announcements
- Manage relationships with publishers, news organisations, bloggers, literary festivals, Orwell experts, bookshops and others
- Maintain, edit and curate the Orwell Prize website, diary blogs, twitter feed, newsletter, YouTube channel and flickr stream
- Work with the director of the Prize, the director of the Media Standards Trust and the Council of the Orwell Prize
- Develop the Prize
- Manage interns
Applicants should have:
- An interest in and understanding of journalism, politics, new media and political writing
- Some knowledge of the works of George Orwell and willingness to learn more
- Excellent organisational, time management, research and computer skills
The successful candidate will be taking over the job in the middle of the Prize cycle – just before the judging of the longlists – and will therefore need to be a quick learner and able to start at the end of February or beginning of March.
Closing Date: 17 February 2012
Interviews are likely to be conducted w/c 20 February.
Start date will be end of February or beginning of March.
Please apply with a CV and covering letter to OrwellPrize@gmail.com.