Date Added: 22 August 2013
: 5 September 2013
Job Title: Parliamentary Researcher
Working For: John Denham MP (Southampton Itchen)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Length of Contract:
John Denham MP is looking for a Parliamentary Researcher to work in his House of Commons office with proven research and organisational experience.
The successful candidate will be able to demonstrate:
- The ability to deliver fast and accurate research on a range of public policy issues. A high level of numeracy and sound grasp of statistics is essential.
- Familiarity with the main sources of policy and statistical information available within and outside Parliament.
- Good personal communications skills and the ability to work effectively with a wide range of individuals inside and outside Parliament, including those at senior levels of responsibility.
- The ability to liaise with local, national and specialist press, brief journalists and handle incoming media enquiries, and a sound knowledge of the campaigning use of social media.
- The ability to work independently, take responsibility and show personal initiative.
Mr Denham's current interests include Higher Education, social care, consumer policy, migration and national identity. In Parliament he chairs the Hazara APPG, has led for the Labour Party in cross party talks on Party funding, and regularly speaks in Parliamentary debates. He has a long standing interest in the politics of southern England and chairs the Labour Party's Southern Taskforce. John Denham is a former Cabinet Minister and member of the Shadow Cabinet and until recently was Ed Miliband's PPS.
Relevant experience is an essential requirement for applicants for this position.
Upon appointment you will be required to apply for security clearance, undertaken by the Security Vetting and Pass Office. See Members’ Staff Security Clearance page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 5 September 2013
The closing date for all applications is noon on Thursday 5th September.
Interviews will take place as soon as possible after the closing date.
Applicants should send a CV, covering letter, and an example of their past work which demonstrates their suitability for this role (for example, a paper, report or case study) to email@example.com.