Date Added: 14 October 2022
: 25 November 2022
Job Title: Parliamentary / Senior Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Rehman Chishti MP (Gillingham and Rainham)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: 6 months
Rehman Chishti MP is looking for a hard-working and motivated Parliamentary/Senior Parliamentary Assistant to join his office in Westminster.
The successful applicant will have excellent communication skills across a range of areas including digital and media.
The position would suit a highly organised person, ideally educated to graduate level with attention to detail and common sense. Excellent proven research skills with ability to draft correspondence, speeches, write articles, deal with media and brief Member prior to interviews, analytical, numerical, written and IT skills are essential, along with excellent team working ethic and ability to manage and prioritise own workload with minimum supervision.
Main duties include:
• Undertake research on complex and difficult subjects.
• Provide support to constituency caseworker on policy issues and assist with casework correspondence
• Analyse and evaluate research and interpret data ensuring key issues are identified.
• Prepare and present results both orally and in writing, eg for parliamentary questions, briefing notes for policy papers, articles and press releases.
• Provide briefings and potential questions to the Member and motions to be put to the house.
• Monitor bills, Early Day Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates, etc.
• Monitor coverage in the media, and liaise with the media.
• Advise and guide the Member on policy issues.
• Assisting with communications, the Member's website and social media; assisting with the production of newsletters and leaflets.
• Maintain, update and develop knowledge of relevant legislation.
• Ensure records are kept, with details of each issue by adhering to the Data Protection Act principles and respect the confidentiality of data at all times.
• Communicate effectively with internal and external contacts.
• Competent use of IT including Microsoft Office package, email and internet to draft correspondence and reports; set up, maintain spreadsheets and undertake research.
• Assist with office administration
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 25 November 2022
Interviews will be carried out on a rolling basis as soon as applications are received. Please note that an appointment may be made prior to the closing date. The successful candidate would be expected to start in late November / early December although there is some flexibility.
Please send CV and one page covering letter outlining your relevant experience and suitability for the role to Rehman Chishti MP, firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that, due to the large number of applications that we receive, we are not able to acknowledge receipt of all applications.