Date Added: 12 November 2022
: 25 November 2022
Job Title: Communications Manager
Working For: Jamie Halcro Johnston MSP (Highlands and Islands)
Length of Contract: Permanent
- Oversight of overall media strategy.
- Implementing media and digital communication strategy.
- Establishing media monitoring systems and responding quickly to new developments.
- Managing provision of communications and press advice.
- Providing regular feedback and auditing of media strategy.
- Identifying potential media opportunities and acting as media contact.
- Identifying forthcoming events and opportunities to promote the work of the MSP.
- Managing work with press offices colleagues, including managing broadcast and other media requests.
- Building effective working relationships with local and national journalists.
- Developing creative new engagement methods for social media accounts.
- Representing me in dealing with media and providing statements where appropriate.
- Some out-of-hours work may be required during particularly busy periods or in response to events.
- Producing materials that effectively convey my aims to the general public and media.
- Producing high quality press releases, briefings and other written materials.
- Keeping up to date with current media developments.
- Building and maintaining relationships with stakeholders in the region.
- Corresponding with constituents and local campaign groups where necessary to pursue issues and campaigns.
- Following all media outlets to capture relevant developments as they happen.
- Maintaining information systems to support communications.
- Maintaining and growing social media presence.
- Drafting and posting social media content to update constituents on my parliamentary activities.
- Relevant experience in a communications/press office role, or alternatively in local/national journalism, is highly desirable.
- Understanding of media strategy and motivation to proactively seek out media opportunities.
- Understanding of social media, including ability to produce graphics and video, is desirable.
- Be capable in monitoring media developments and sourcing information from a range of channels.
- Have the ability to build good working relationships with local and national journalists and stakeholders.
- An active interest in, and understanding of, Scottish politics with the confidence to represent MSPs in a media-related capacity to a variety of stakeholders.
Closing Date: 25 November 2022
Closing time is 12 noon.
Interviews are expected to be held in the week commencing 28 November.
Please apply by sending a CV with covering letter via the Scottish Parliament careers website here: