Date Added: 6 September 2023
: 22 September 2023
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Gareth Johnson MP (Dartford)
Salary: Pays in line with IPSA guidelines (London area MP)
Length of Contract: 6-month fixed contract with view to an extension
Gareth Johnson MP is looking to recruit a Parliamentary Assistant based in his Westminster office. This role involves political research, communications and assisting with casework where necessary. The applicant will be required to work in Westminster and Dartford on occasion. Some home working may be available.
• Supporting campaigns both at a local and national level
• Assisting with the preparation of press releases and communications
•Preparing research in support of the members parliamentary commitments
• Have working knowledge of relevant legislation and upcoming business including how they impact on the constituency
• Providing general administrative support
• Assisting with casework
• Preparing responses to policy issues or local issues
• Organising and attending constituency visits and events
• Engage professionally, confidentially and with care and integrity with members of the public, through a variety of methods
• Highly literate
• Self-motivated with the ability to work independently
• Reliable, enthusiastic and professional
• Politically aware
• Knowledge of current affairs
• Knowledge of Parliamentary process and workings of Government
• Excellent research and analytical skills
• Previous experience of working in a caseworker, parliamentary assistant or other political role
• Local knowledge of Dartford, Kent
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Conservative Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 22 September 2023
We can offer some flexibility on a start date and will work with the successful candidate to find a mutually convenient date.
Applicants should send their CVs with a one page covering letter outlining how they meet the criteria to email@example.com. Please direct any queries to this address. We reserve the right to appoint a candidate before the closing date.