Date Added: 13 September 2023
: 20 September 2023
Job Title: Constituency Caseworker
Working For: Dame Margaret Hodge MP (Barking)
Salary: IPSA Guidelines (£24,000 – £38,197)
Length of Contract: Next General election (1 year to ~18 months)
Dame Margaret Hodge MP has a vacancy for a caseworker in her constituency office.
Normally based in the constituency office in Barking, this role will be part of a small team helping Margaret’s constituents. The ideal candidate will have experience of casework, campaigning, advocacy, or social work. They will have excellent written English and a professional telephone manner. This position may involve some evening and weekend work.
• Dealing with correspondence, telephone enquiries and emails from constituents, taking up their cases, and providing timely responses.
• Attending or organising constituency events, such as street meetings and coffee afternoons.
• Helping to develop local or national campaigns out of issues that arise through casework. Monitoring key developments in the constituency.
• Gathering information or data relevant to assist cases.
• Liaising with various agencies and organisations to resolve constituents' problems.
• Efficiently logging all cases, monitoring progress and ensuring that actions are taken.
• Retaining records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
• Establish, monitor and update a social media and online presence in the constituency.
• Excellent communication skills, both written and verbal.
• Strong organisational skills, including workload management and an ability to operate under pressure.
• Proven track-record of excellent people or customer service skills - ability to deal with constituents and community interest groups in a compassionate and empathetic manner.
• A self-starter who can work well independently and as part of a team.
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party.
Other desirable (but not essentials) skills:
• Previous work for another MP would be beneficial but not essential, as would experience with the software programme CaseworkerMP.
• A good understanding of the political environment would be advantageous, and a knowledge of local issues in the constituency is very desirable.
• Previous casework, campaigning or community advocacy experience would be beneficial.
• Proficiency with IT programmes, such as MS Office applications.
Margaret values inclusivity and diversity, and welcomes applications from candidates of all backgrounds.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 20 September 2023
Closing time: 5pm
Successful candidates will be contacted by the 22nd September. Interviews will be held week commencing 25th September. The successful candidate will start as soon as possible.
If you have what it takes to join our team, please submit a one-page covering letter, addressed to Nasrine Djemai, and a CV to firstname.lastname@example.org
Due to the high volume of applications expected please note that we are only able to respond to those shortlisted for interview.