Date Added: 13 September 2023
: 10 October 2023
Job Title: Refugee, Asylum and Migration Policy Adviser to Olivia Blake MP
Working For: The Refugee, Asylum and Migration Policy Project (RAMP)
Salary: A contract on a rate of £225 per day
Length of Contract: At least 6 months, with a likelihood of extension at that point
The Refugee, Asylum and Migration Policy (RAMP) Project is looking for a new person to join the team to serve as a policy adviser to Olivia Blake MP, working 2 days per week. The adviser will be seconded into the office of Olivia Blake MP from RAMP, which is a cross-party project with advisers currently working with Stephen Timms MP, Caroline Nokes MP, Tim Farron MP, David Simmonds MP, Simon Fell MP, Baroness Lister, Baroness Stroud, Baroness Mobarik, Lord German and the Bishop of Durham - as well as Olivia.
- Providing briefing on refugee, asylum and migration legislation, debates and policy discussions at the request of the MP.
- Supporting the MP and her team to draft speeches, articles and amendments.
- Arranging opportunities for Olivia Blake MP to meet with those working in or with personal experience of the asylum and immigration system
- Where appropriate, contributing to internal policy discussions within the Labour Party.
- Working with the other RAMP advisers to coordinate RAMP parliamentary strategy, identifying opportunities for cross-party interventions, particularly around the RAMP priority themes of citizenship, asylum and economic migration.
- Working with other RAMP advisers to provide secretariat support to the All Party Parliamentary Group on Migration - which Olivia Co-Chairs.
- Meeting with other parliamentarians, with NGOs and other organisations working on resettlement, asylum and migration policy to identify possible campaigns and parliamentary interventions.
We are looking for an organised, self-starter with the following experience, knowledge and skills:
- Considerable experience of working in the UK Parliament, or for a political party and of parliamentary procedure.
- Knowledge and understanding of resettlement, asylum and migration policy.
- Sympathy with and understanding of the ideals and objectives of Olivia, and of the wider Labour party, particularly regarding resettlement, asylum and migration policy.
- 2+ years experience working in policy and public affairs roles and a good understanding of the policy making process.
- A highly proficient writer.
- Able to both think and act strategically, and to react quickly to fast-changing events.
- Able to build strong relationships quickly with a range of different stakeholders
Closing Date: 10 October 2023
We are looking for someone to start as soon as possible. Interviews will take place in mid-October.
Please send a CV, and a cover letter which is no more than 2 sides of a4 and which sets out how you meet each of the criteria listed in the person specification above, to email@example.com. Please write Olivia Blake Adviser in the subject line.