Date Added: 16 September 2023
: 28 September 2023
Job Title: Senior Parliamentary Researcher
Working For: Nick Smith MP (Blaenau Gwent)
Salary: In line with IPSA Scales
Length of Contract: Permanent
• Support Nick in his role as Shadow Deputy Leader of the House.
• To produce and present high quality written reports, briefing notes, and professional advice.
• Undertake research on relevant subjects as directed, particularly ahead of weekly Business Questions.
. Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure the Member is accurately informed on key issues.
• Political horizon-scanning, anticipate what advice or action may be required; proactively identify problems and political opportunities.
• Research and monitor local, regional and national media coverage online and through social media and brief the MP on relevant issues.
• There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal working hours, including assisting and attending events with the MP as requested.
• To advise and ensure the MP is fully briefed on potential questions, motions and legislation to be put to the House.
• To assist Nick with the administration of APPGs.
• Previous Parliamentary experience and knowledge of Parliamentary procedure (required)
• Strong political acumen (required)
• Excellent research skills (required)
• Excellent written and oral communication skills (required)
• Attention to detail (required)
• The ability to work often under pressure and to tight deadlines (required)
• Excellent time-management and teamworking skills (required)
• Excellent ability to understand, interpret and analyse financial development (desirable)
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour party
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 28 September 2023
Interviews will be held on the morning of Wednesday 4th October via Teams with start date ASAP.
Closing time: noon.
If you are interested in applying for this role, please send a CV (max two pages), and cover letter (max one page) to firstname.lastname@example.org.