Date Added: 16 September 2023
: 9 October 2023
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Navendu Mishra MP (Stockport)
Salary: Full time. In line with IPSA pay scales. To be negotiated based on experience
Length of Contract: 6 months
• Analyse, evaluate and interpret data to ensure Member is accurately informed on key issues.
• Assist in writing external communications including speeches for the MP.
• Assist with casework as required.
• Attend and participate in meetings as appropriate.
• Compilation of briefing packs for MPs, take notes of meetings and draft appropriate submissions.
• Develop and maintain current knowledge on relevant areas of parliamentary business including Motions, legislation, Hansard, debates etc. To include Brexit and local planning outcomes.
• Diary Management,
• Engage confidentially, professionally, with care and integrity with members of the public, through telephone enquiries, social media, email and face to face.
• Give advice on policy issues.
• Have working knowledge of relevant legislation and upcoming business including how they impact on the constituency.
• Help draft amendments for reports and prepare briefing material.
• Maintain positive on-going relationships with all parties including members of the public, groups, suppliers and Westminster where required.
• Monitor local, regional and national media coverage and brief the MP on relevant issues.
• Monitor social media activity and report any relevant trends to the Office Manager/MP.
• Prepare and present briefing notes for committees, press releases, parliamentary questions etc.
• Progress casework as required.
• Project Management Project Work.
• Provide generalist admin support.
• Respond to routine correspondence and enquiries.
• Supervise staff members where appropriate.
• There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of normal working hours and travel for work occasionally.
• To advise and ensure the MP is fully briefed on potential questions and motions to be put to the House.
• Undertake research on relevant subjects as directed Work with colleagues in communications/casework to identify potential impacts from the research work and disseminate them effectively.
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 9 October 2023
Interviews- week commencing Monday 16 October 2023.
Start date - negotiable.
Please send your CV of no more than two pages, including a one page covering letter and 300 words on what you think are likely to be the key issues facing Stockport constituents over the next year to email@example.com with 'Parliamentary Assistant application - YOUR NAME' as the subject line.
Unfortunately, due to a large volume of interest, we will only be able to contact candidates who have been successfully shortlisted for this role.