Date Added: 17 September 2023
: 22 September 2023
Job Title: Constituency Assistant
Working For: George Freeman MP (Mid Norfolk)
Location: Wymondham (Constituency Office)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Length of Contract: 6-12 months (but with potential for it to be extended or made permanent)
George Freeman MP is seeking a Constituency Assistant to join his team as part of a reorganisation of the constituency office to reflect the increased focus on local campaigning & comms in the next 18mth.
Joining a close-knit, fast paced constituency office, this is an ideal opportunity for a positive, enthusiastic, people person who is passionate about politics & public service in the lead up to the next General Election.
The role will be available on an initial 6-12mth basis, but with the potential for it to be extended or made permanent.
Key Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Drafting and issuing of correspondence on MP's behalf on a diverse range of local matters and assisting with bulletin drafting and sending out.
• Supporting the Office Manager and Chief of Staff with local campaigns, projects and other tasks
• Liaising with third parties including government departments, agencies, councils and businesses
• Attending MP surgeries and other meetings
• Responding to complex casework and correspondence in a professional, confidential and sensitive manner, while maintaining accurate records that comply with GDPR
• Research on a range of constituency issues, analysing data on key issues, and maintaining vital contact spreadsheets and databases
• Using social media to mobilise and build local networks of community support, as well as some local media liaison.
• The role holder may need to work outside of normal working hours and travel for work occasionally
Desired skills and attributes:
• Great written and oral communication skills
• A highly organised manner with the ability to manage and prioritise a large caseload
• Strong attention to detail and analytical skills
• The ability to work to tight deadlines calmly and while under pressure
• Personal initiative, commitment and a strong, pro-active work ethic
• A feel for people with the ability to work as part of team, as well as individually
• Proficient in Microsoft Office, social media platforms and digital comms
• Sympathetic views towards the aims and values of George as local Conservative MP
• Knowledge and experience of rural Norfolk is highly desired, with a strong local antennae and feel for local people, communities and Mid Norfolk/Norfolk/East Anglia politics.
• Hold a valid UK Driving Licence
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 22 September 2023
Interviews will take place after the closing date. The ideal candidate will be available to begin sometime between the middle and end of October – although a later start date may be considered for the right individual.
Closing time: 12 noon.
Please send a CV and a one page Covering Letter via email to firstname.lastname@example.org on the closing date - with the subject heading 'Constituency Assistant Application'