Date Added: 18 September 2023
: 2 October 2023
Job Title: Parliamentary Assistant
Working For: Chris Evans MP (Islwyn)
Location: Constituency based (Islwyn)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: 12 months
Chris Evans MP is looking for an enthusiastic, hard-working individual to join his busy team as a Parliamentary Assistant, based in his Islwyn constituency office, South Wales.
This is a full-time position on a fixed term contract for 12 months with the possibility of an extension and would suit a recent graduate or an individual looking to gain valuable political and office-based experience. There will be a requirement to work occasional evenings and weekends.
• Lead and manage local campaigns. Ensuring the MP is kept informed on any arising local issues.
• Liaise with constituency stakeholders and form strong relationships with community groups in the constituency.
• Research and produce press releases, drafting newspaper articles, liaising with the media and meeting deadlines as appropriate.
• Assist with surgeries and handling of complex casework, as required.
• Organise, publicise and attend constituency meetings and events.
• Publicise the MP’s constituency and parliamentary activities.
• Manage and maintain the MP’s website content.
• Preparing media briefings.
• Produce traditional and electronic materials, including flyers and reports and surveys for use in constituency communications.
• Supporting the MP’s Parliamentary office and front bench responsibilities.
Knowledge and experience
• Excellent organisational and administrative skills with the ability to prioritise tasks and meet tight deadlines.
• Excellent writing and verbal communication skills.
• Ability to work independently and as part of a team.
• Good working knowledge of Welsh and UK politics.
• Retain records and information confidentially in line with GDPR.
• Good IT and media skills.
• Sympathetic to Labour Party values.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 2 October 2023
Interviews will take place week commenceing Monday 9 October 2023.
The post will ideally start from October 2023.
Please send a CV and a covering letter no more than 300 words, setting out your suitability for the role, to firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject heading ‘Parliamentary Assistant’
Unfortunately, due to the expected high volume of responses, it will not be possible to provide individual feedback, and only those selected for an interview will be contacted.