Date Added: 22 September 2023
: 25 October 2023
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Sir Mark Hendrick (Preston)
Salary: In line with IPSA payscales
Length of Contract: 1 year, fixed term
The Caseworker will provide advice and support to constituents on a wide range of issues and help to resolve problems through liaison with Government Agencies, Local Authorities and voluntary sector organisations. Applicants should have a strong interest in local and national politics and a strong awareness of the Preston Constituency.
The candidate will be a highly motivated, professional, team player with an eye for detail, who will operate in a demanding political environment. They must be able to manage a large caseload independently and be committed and emphatic about helping local people.
Responsibilities will include:
• Manage and progress a portfolio of casework including logging cases, taking appropriate actions, gathering relevant information to assist with resolving cases and responding to constituents promptly
• Drafting letters, emails and documents in a manner which reflects the Member’s views
• Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act
• Maintain, update and develop knowledge of relevant legislation and guidance
• Assist with the work of other colleagues and communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts
• Excellent IT skills
• Excellent interpersonal, oral and written communications skills
• A positive and flexible approach
• Ability to draft communication to a high professional standard, in a clear and concise style
• Motivated to work independently and impartially as well as the ability to work effectively as part of a small team
• A positive and non-judgemental outlook and be able to empathise with people in difficult situations
• Outstanding organisational skills
• Impeccable time management, the ability to work to tight deadlines and to be able to prioritise under pressure
• To be able to work with diplomacy and discretion
• Experience of handling sensitive issues in a confidential manner
• Good problem solving skills
• Sound knowledge of the issues handled by a Member of Parliament
• Sympathetic to the aims and values of the Labour Party
• Previous experience of casework
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 25 October 2023
Interviews will take place on Friday 10th November 2023.
Please send your cover letter and CV by email to Estelle Warhurst at email@example.com with “Caseworker Application” in the email subject line.
Please also send 200 words on what you think the main issues in Preston are likely to be over the next few years.