Date Added: 18 October 2023
: 30 November 2023
Job Title: Executive Assistant - Maternity Cover
Working For: Penny Mordaunt MP (Portsmouth North)
Length of Contract: 12 months
Hybrid working pattern (the current role holder works three days working from home, with two days in the constituency office in Portsmouth). Staff primarily work from the constituency office; however, London working on a hybrid basis from House of Commons would also be considered.
This is a fast-paced role, which requires the role holder to demonstrate the ability to work with minimal supervision to ensure the management of the Member’s diary. The Member is also a Minister and so the role holder will need to be able to balance diary pressures by anticipating and resolving possible conflicts. Previous experience of managing budgets will be considered but ideally the role holder will have experience or familiarity with managing Member expenses and budgets via the Independent Parliamentary Standards Authority.
The Key responsibilities of the role are:
• Manage Member's diary commitments.
• Provide administrative management in relation to MP’s expenses scheme via IPSA Online
• Manage budgets as required including Constituency Office costs and Staffing Budget.
• Minute taking
• Compilation of briefing packs
• Database management and using office software (e.g. Microsoft Office) to handle administrative cases
• Deal with complex queries and complaints on the MPs' behalf, including drafting and signing letters, responding to social media and email enquiries, as well as managing face to face queries and complaints.
• Engage professionally, confidentially and with care and integrity with members of the public, through a variety of methods.
• Ensure enquiries are dealt with sensitively and confidentially Exposure and management of complex cases
• Have a working knowledge of relevant legislation and parliamentary business and understand how these policies may impact on local constituents
• Maintain positive on-going relationships with members of the public, organisations in Westminster and constituents
• Manage and monitor incoming calls, face to face enquiries, emails and social media enquiries, dealing with cases that do not need to be transferred to a caseworker.
• Ensure all enquiries are dealt with in a timely manner.
Please note: There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of the normal working hours and travel for work occasionally.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 30 November 2023
Closing Date for applications: Thursday, 30th November 2023 with interviews expected to take place during December.
Proposed start date for successful candidate: January 2024 to enable hand over.
To apply, please email your CV and a covering letter explaining why you would be suitable for the position to email@example.com.
Alternatively, you can send hard copies to Penny Mordaunt MP, Ground Floor, 1000 Lakeside, Western Road, North Harbour, Cosham, Portsmouth, Hampshire, PO6 3EN.