Date Added: 7 November 2023
: 23 November 2023
Job Title: Press and Communications Officer
Working For: Dan Jarvis MBE MP (Barnsley Central)
Location: London or Barnsley
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: 12 months, fixed term
Dan Jarvis MP is looking to recruit an outstanding Press and Communications Officer to join his team.
The candidate should have excellent oral and written communication skills, and advanced ICT skills. They should be at ease in a high pressure environment and have a strong interest in press work.
Main duties include:
• Routinely monitoring press output and drafting press releases
• Establishing relationships and answering questions from a variety of sources including press, constituents, and other internal and external stakeholders
• Managing social media content
• Maintaining website and updating when necessary
• Monitoring and evaluating the effectiveness of communications
• Drafting speeches, blog posts and articles
• Drafting written Parliamentary questions
• Excellent oral and written communication skills, paying attention to detail
• Experience of Press Work is desirable
• Experience of website management and maintenance is desirable
• Experience of editing software
• Ability to manage and launch social media campaigns
• Knowledge and understanding of media handling techniques including designing a communications strategy
• Effective interpersonal skills and the ability to build relationships
• Ability to prioritise tasks and work effectively in a busy office
• Experience working in a high pressure environment and ability to work flexible hours.
• Sympathy with the aims and values of the Labour Party
• Knowledge of Barnsley Central is desirable
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 23 November 2023
Interviews will be held as soon as possible.
The start date will be as soon as possible thereafter.
To apply for the post, please send a current CV and a covering letter detailing your suitability on no more than two sides of A4 to email@example.com.
Please also include how soon you will be available to start the role.