Date Added: 20 November 2023
: 5 December 2023
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Helen Hayes MP (Dulwich and West Norwood)
Salary: In line with IPSA pay scales
Length of Contract: Permanent
Helen Hayes MP is looking for a highly motivated and experienced individual to work in her busy Constituency Office.
The role will include providing information, advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues and liaising with Government agencies, the voluntary sector and others to help resolve matters on behalf of constituents.
• Handle correspondence from constituents, drafting responses and providing advice and support to constituents on a variety of issues (e.g. housing, immigration, benefits) through liaison with Government agencies, the voluntary sector and others.
• Manage own caseload and progress of casework, ensuring all cases are dealt with in a sensitive, confidential and timely manner and accurate records are kept in adherence to the principles of the Data Protection Act and GDPR.
• Attend surgeries and other meetings to assist the Member in dealing with constituents’ issues.
• Research and draft responses or respond to constituents on any issues raised on behalf of the Member.
• Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of relevant legislation/guidelines as appropriate in dealing with casework.
• Liaise with relevant groups within the constituency and communicate appropriately with internal and external contacts.
• Previous experience of handling casework, either in an MP’s Office, the Civil Service, or a third sector organisation such as the CAB is essential.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills and confidence in interacting with people at all levels and in a variety of circumstances.
• Able to prioritise a demanding workload to meet deadlines.
• Able to deal with issues in a confidential manner.
• Able to work effectively in a small team.
• Competent use of IT including full proficiency in Microsoft Office, Outlook and the internet. Experience of a casework management system or similar database would be an advantage.
• Experience of working and dealing with the general public.
• Awareness and understanding of current political issues.
• Sympathetic to the aims and objectives of the Labour Party.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 5 December 2023
Interviews to be held on 13th December with a start date as soon as possible after this.
Please send a CV (no more than two sides) and a cover letter (no more than one side) to email@example.com with the subject line "Caseworker Vacancy".