Date Added: 20 November 2023
: 20 December 2023
Job Title: Caseworker
Working For: Peter Dowd MP (Bootle)
Location: Bootle, Merseyside
Salary: £18,000 (Part time - 22.5 hours)
Length of Contract: 6-9 Months (Maternity Cover)
Peter Dowd MP is seeking an experienced caseworker for his busy constituency office in Bootle. This is part time (22.5 hours per week) maternity cover role for 6-9 months depending on start date. We are flexible on a fixed pattern of work but it is a solely office based role between core hours of 9.00am to 5.00pm.
Previous experience of constituency casework and of working for a Member of Parliament, is preferable but not essential.
A high level of written and verbal communication is essential alongside professional telephone manner.
• Log all cases; monitor progress and ensure all identified actions are taken
• Ensure all enquiries are dealt with in a timely manner.
• Deal with large numbers of standard queries from constituents and assisting on more complex cases from members of the public by phone, email, social media or face to face.
• Draft responses to constituents.
• Managing and progressing workload independently.
• Ensure that each case is dealt with promptly, sensitively, confidentially and accurately in accordance with the MP.
• Liaising with Council and Government departments, voluntary sector and other organisations to help resolve cases.
• Retain records and information confidentially and in line with the Data Protection Act.
• Attend surgeries and other meetings and follow up as appropriate.
• Attend constituency meetings as appropriate.
• Assisting with general office support and administration.
• Basic knowledge in immigration, housing, Social Security is desirable but not required
• There may be a requirement for the role holder to work outside of the normal working hours and travel for work occasionally.
Skills and Experience:
• Previous experience of casework, ideally in an MP’s office (not essential)
• Ability to manage a wide range of written and telephone enquiries.
• Ability to plan, organise and prioritise workload effectively.
• Strong written and verbal communication.
• Experience of working in a public-facing role.
• The ability to work independently as part of a team.
Upon appointment you will be required to comply with the Baseline Personnel Security Standard, undertaken by the Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO). See Members’ Staff Verification Office (MSVO) page for further info. MPs generally pay staff in accordance with IPSA guidelines.
Closing Date: 20 December 2023
Interviews: Week commencing 8th January 2024
Preferred Start Date – ASAP
Applicants should send their CV (two pages), covering letter (one page) in a word document to Trish Hardy at email@example.com with the subject line – ‘First Name, Surname - Caseworker Application’.